Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:24:46 -0500
>From:    Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
>The truth is, we really don't *know* how long the CD vax is effective
>in ferrets - one shot could be good for three years for all we know.
>The yearly shot is recommended simply because that's what other species
>typically need.

##Roger, I agree with most of what you said inn your post except for the
part about what other species need.  Distemper vaccine in dogs has been
proven to last at least 7 years.  I refer to this site:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/vaccines2.html .
Also the AVMA has stated that their is no scientific proof to back up
the need for yearly boosters.  ref:
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/common/vaccinations.html

>We routinely hear of CD vax reactions, and some of mine show flu-like
>symptoms for a couple of days after a shot.  (A different, but not
>dangerous, kind of reaction.)

##Have to disagree with this too <g>, any reaction is dangerous.  From
what I have seen it appears most ferrets have a reaction after they have
been vaccinated a number of times.  I think that should be telling us
something.  Vaccine mfgs tested out to a year that is why they are
labeled as such.  They will have no gain in proving they last years
longer or even a lifetime.  Vets have been quoted saying they would lose
a good portion of their income if the protocols were changed.  Noone
except us as the pet owner can do anything about making the vaccine mfg
be responsible for their product.  They should do more testing, to make
a safer vaccine and to determine how often it really is necessary to
vaccinate.  Every reaction should be reported, no matter how slight.
Vets should be more proactive.  People need to question and educate
themselves.  For the sake of our companions.

  ~Amy~