From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:46:25 -0500
>According to my vet, removing both at once can cause enough stress to
>kill them.  I know of bi lateral adrenal surgeries done by other vets
>where this has indeed happened.  So Ellen, the deal is that my vet is

I just wanted to post that in my experience, removing both glands is not
more stressful then doing two surgeries.  If you know that both need
removed, I cannot imagine why you wouldn't remove both at the same time.
As long as there were no other issues going on, as Sukie mentioned.  But
none were mentioned, so I assume that wasn't the case.  As long as your
vet is a good surgeon, the ferret a decent surgical candidate, and you
know how to handle the hormone therapy, there shouldn't be any hesitation
in removing that other gland.  We do bilaterals all the time and haven't
had any more problems then we did with one gland removals.

As I mention above, the key is to make sure you take into account that
decrease of hormones when both glands are removed.  You can do this a
couple ways - my vet (as well as Dr. Weiss) gives them a Percortin
injection immediately after surgery, which lasts about 25 days, and puts
them on a dose of prednisone.  I wean them off the pred over the 4 weeks
post-surgery, then we check their electrolytes and potassium to see if
they require hormone therapy.  If Percortin isn't available, you can put
the ferret on daily doses of Florinef, with their prednisone.

Just wanted to let everyone know that removing both glands during the
same surgery is not as stressful as you would be lead to believe.

>both tumors at one time.  May I ask what expertise you have in this area
>to pose the questions you do?  Are you a veterinarian?

As far as this question, you don't have to be a vet to have common sense.
Talk to your vet & other vets, read the Ferret-Health List, talk to other
shelter directors, read vet texts - there are alot of ways to make
yourself knowledgeable about ferret health.

Mary

Mary McCarty-Houser, Director
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Assn of Centre County
www.ferretrescue.com