From:
Minta Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 20:38:01 -0800
I just tried to read some back issues of the FML to figure out what was
being said regarding the Oregon Ferret Shelter and Troy Lynn Eckart, as I
have personally gotten 4 ferrets from them...I honestly cannot tell what
the issue is, and where it is going, except I must say one thing about
her comment several issues ago that "150 ferrets is way too many for one
person"...well, yes, it is.  Only that is a non-issue as it is not the
case here.  The Oregon Ferret Shelter may well be overloaded at this
point, but it is not one person versus 150 ferrets.  So, I am wondering
why she even bothered to post that comment?  I think that would qualify
as a "red herring".  If there are issues to discuss here, it is not that
particular one.

Anyway, my ferret Linus, I got him from the Oregon Ferret Shelter in the
summer of 1996.  He was 1 1/4 year old, a silver ferret who has gotten
considerably whiter with age (he now has about 12 black hairs).  Very
super friendly and energetic.  Wouldn't hurt a fly.  He is now 7 years
and 10 months old, and will be going in for surgery this coming Monday
after all.  I posted about my dilemma 4 months ago, whether we should do
exploratory surgery with him as at the time his only issues were liver
damage the vet couldn't determine the cause of.  Anyway he is now showing
signs of insolinoma.  And while this surgery may only extend his life a
year, we could have put him on meds for the same amount of time but I
think a year after surgery he will feel better rather than a year of
medicine controlling his symptoms.  The vet thinks he is in fine form for
surgery, too.  So I know lots of people emailed to say leave him alone,
but now that he is showing physical problems, I just feel surgery will
eleviate his discomfort.

He had adrenal surgery when he was 4 1/2, has shown no signs of
recurrence.  He's been medicated daily for IBD and hepatitis.  He looks
really good, considering.  No heart or kidney problems.  Just that pesky
liver.  I have arranged it so I can take care of him around the clock
next week, when he comes home from surgery.  No work, no kid, just
Linus & I on the couch.

Here's to a successful surgery to ring in the New Year!

Minta & Linus, the Super Ferret