Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:53:28 -0500
From:
Romeo went in for surgery today to repair his broken leg that had been
broken for over a week.  Because of the length of time it was left
untreated, the surgery cost way more then the expected $1,000 we were
originally told it would cost.  The complications of muscle atrophy and
scar tissue as well as callus build up caused the surgery to double in
cost and there was the fear he would loose his leg.

Today, the surgery lasted a little over 2 hours and his leg was saved.
The only worry is that the callus may cause sciatic nerve damage so they
kept him over night to observe him and i'll find out tomorrow if he can
come home.  He's well and can move his leg so the doctors are hopeful
that all will be fine.

When I spoke in Las Vegas last year for the Ferrets 2002 conference, I
pleaded that we all work together to make a difference.  I remember
saying that some of us do things differently to what others feel is right
but we needed to over look that and do the best for the ferrets we could
as a group.

To my shock, this was proven to me with Romeo.  Nancy and Reanee posted
the other day about Romeo's surgical costs.  So many of you came through
with donations even if all you could afford was $5.  Well, the 30 or so
people that donated $5 made up $150 worth of Romeo's surgery.  Then there
were the people that donated $10, $20 or $50.  They came through with
$250 for Romeo.  1 person donated $150 while another donated $200.

Then, tonight I learned a wonderful, caring couple, from the Ferret Aid
list, that don't even own ferrets anymore (who were anonymous, even to
me) donated a whopping $500 making a grand total of $1,250!!!!  Since I
can't send you an e-mail like I did to all others who donated, thank you
very much and may sun always shine on your face.

What this shows me is that no matter how much you can afford to donate,
EVERY dollar counts.  When I see shelters or other charities asking for
money, I always think to myself 'geez, $5 bucks isn't going to make a
difference' and therefore, I don't send it.  Well, in Romeo's case, 30
people's $5 bucks made a lot of difference and so did everyone else.
Next time I've got 5 bucks, I'll be sending it.

Thank you to everyone on the FML, Fuzz-Butt Hollow, The Ferret Aid e-list
and to the numerous other lists that are involved.  Without you and your
love of one ferret, this wouldn't have been possible.

This whole scenario reminds me of the kindness you all showed when Harley
"Bug" first came into my life.  Since he's been gone I've been feeling so
empty.  Thanks to Romeo and all of you, I have a renewed sense of hope
because of a community that loves ferrets more than words could say and
a little ferret who braved the pain to see another day.  Thank you.

Randy Melanie Belair
President
The Ferret Aid Society
"For The Love of Our Fuzzy Friends"