Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:45:13 -0700
Thanks Sukie.  Actually we had an incident where someone did not suspect
adrenal disease until it was mentioned to them by a person who felt
qualified to make that kind of statement.  The problem was that because
of the coarseness of the coat, it was deemed that something was seriously
wrong.  This "shaman" was certain that it was adrenal disease.  My
experiences of late say, never to make such a definitive statement
considering the other things I have learned that mimic adrenal disease.
In this specific case, a complete blood panel was done to rule out other
issues and reported everything was normal.  (No TP... so there is no way
for us to be able to tell that the prediction was right or wrong.  We are
of the belief that follows Dr. Bruce Williams line of thinking... if it
walks, talks and breathes like adrenal disease, go in and take a look
around.  The cost is about the same and I personally feel an exploratory
is far more revealing.  Besides, there is far more substantiated evidence
in this case that points to it being more stress related.  If the ferret
is not adrenal at present but becomes adrenal in the future, which could
happen to any ferret, then this prediction will be right... eventually.
That's like predicting I am going to die a horrible death.  Even I know
there aren't too many pleasurable ways to die!) Although I know that some
people are in tune with their animals, (like I know I am) I am greatly
concerned when a total stranger makes alleged diagnosis on an animal they
barely know, when 1.  They are self admittedly not a vet, and 2.  when
they spread the word they have a talent to "just being able to tell." In
this particular case, the person involved has made *many* previous
pronouncements on ferrets that ended up turning out wrong AND costing the
owners who took the advice more money than they could reasonably
afford... money that could have been better spent.  That's not a track
record I would be proud of if it were me and certainly one that needs to
be kept in mind when hearing their advice.  Adrenal disease is one of
those diseases that personally, I have learned that you can't be 100%
positive about in just looking at an animal, given the number of cases
that have come through my home as of late.

The vet I deal with at present has taught me a great deal on ferret care
and ferret medicine, but it does not give me the right to start behaving
like one.  And that is the bottom line and my main point here.  It's like
this list... there are many people I respect here that seem to have a
good grasp of ferret medicine because they have had a great deal of
experience, but I won't just take their word on it.  I see my vet for
that.  As I learn through my own special cases, I share the info hoping
that it will help someone else, but still with the understanding that
our precious veterinarians are still our best bet to determine a cause
of an ailment.  I am ferret knowledgeable but I am not a vet... yet!

Hail to the vets!!

betty and her blur o'fur
for the love of ferrets
missing Spaz