From:
Ferret Guardian Rescue Haven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:54:37 -0500
I am filled with fear, tears and worry as I write this today.

The economy has forced the company my husband works for to close its
doors today.  So without notice, Tony is now unemployed.  Tony has
suspected problems for the past three months since the company was making
cutbacks.  Thus... has been marketing himself with headhunters and job
banks with no luck.  With the job market at its worst, we are forced into
somewhat of a panic mode.  We risk losing everything we have worked for.
The shelter suffers as well, since 33% of Tony's annual salary is/was how
we operate.

We, including my sister (who will care for the ferrets in my absence),
have talked about everything today, including my return to full time work
along with my part time catering.  Without knowing how long till Tony
finds work or the impact this setback will have on us, we will have to
temporarily close our doors to incoming ferrets.  I can not/will not put
ferrets into a compromised situation.  We now must rely 100% on donations
and fundraisers to support the shelter ferrets.  We have approximately
$156.00 in the shelter account and a little in our personal savings to
help sustain us for a short while.  If you can spare a few dollars to
help these shelter ferrets during this setback, it would be greatly
appreciated.  Financial donations (tax deductible) can go directly to our
vets office and/or the shelter.  Other donations needed: medicines, gift
certificates for The Ferret Store/PetsMart/Gasoline/etc., supplies such
as food, supplements, bedding, fundraiser items, etc... will be vital.
Vet address: Animal Ark Veterinary Hospital, 5919-A James Street,
Clemmons, NC 27012
Shelter: Ferret Guardian Rescue Haven, 111 Bay Berry Court,
Statesville, NC 28677

We have been lucky as of late, for adoptions have been steady and we are
at our lowest number all year.  Seven out of the 52 ferrets in the
shelter are healthy and ready for adoption with applications pending.
Seven more are in foster care till a home is found for this bonded group
(all together for at least 2.5 yrs.).  The remainder needing financial
support/sponsors are ill with one or more of the following:
Adrenal/Cardiomyopathy/Insulinoma/Lymphoma/Old Age.  Six will be ready
for adoption after adrenal surgeries and recovery time.  Other ferrets
needing our help will be directed/transported to another shelter and/or
foster homes as well as placement from owner to approved adopters.  We
will need qualified/experienced foster homes with the financial means to
provide medical attention/support for ferrets till we again are able to
open our doors.  We are praying this only lasts a few months at most.

Also, this will have an impact on our 12 year old who works by my side
with the shelter ferrets/chores, this Christmas.  He is my shadow, my
right hand.  LC has sacrificed one gift each birthday and Christmas since
we opened in 1997 for a needy ferret.  His loyalty to their care and
needs is above and beyond the call of duty.  If you feel compelled,
let him know you also appreciate him for all he does by sending him a
Christmas card.  It will really lift his spirits to know others care.
You can send them to: Curtis Petty, 111 Bay Berry Court, Statesville, NC
28677.  (Also the address for donations.)

Thank you for your continued support.

God Bless,
Diane Campbell
FGRH