From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:06:54 -0500
I received so many private responses to my question that I hope you all
don't mind if I reply and thank you on the fml.

My vet did prescribe 3 mg, but I think I'll check out the 1 mg tablets
that Julie Fossa said are available at GNC.  I prefer tablets to liquid
meds for the most part because they're less stressful on the ferret than
taking an unpalatable liquid.  (I don't know whether melatonin has any
taste, but I intend to find out!)

I have two ferrets on pred for the rest of their lives, and we went
through hell in the beginning trying various liquid preparations.  They
hated the stuff!  I've had the same problem with some antibiotics.
Nasty tasting stuff!

So I tried pred tablets and it is so much easier on them.  Swallowing a
pill, they don't have to taste it.  And I also know that they've gotten
the full dose.  I just pop the pill on the back of the tongue, then
stroke the throat gently until they swallow.  One of my guys even opens
his mouth voluntarily.

Thanks again,
Nancy and critters