Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:04:43 -0800
LACEY LOVENFERT - Born 11/25/93     Adopt 08/12/98     Crossed  11/18/02

It is with great sadness that the Kritter Crew announces the passing of
our Grand Dookess, 9yr old Lacey Lovenfert.  She will sorely be missed.

Lacey's age had been catching up with her lately.  Earlier this evening
she refused her babyfood from my finger.  She turned her head up towards
me and gave me that look that I know all so well.  Simply put, 'Daddy,
it's time'.

I bundled her in her baby blankie and let her pass in her sleep.  She
left about 9pm.

Lacey was one of my first ever adoptions.  I adopted her, her cagemate
Simon, and their neighbor Hershey from the Oregon Ferret Shelter in 1998.
Shelter mom Chris Mathis was hesitant to let me take her.  Lacey was a
frail 5yr old who was recovering from surgery.  Didn't know just how
well she would recuperate or how long she would live.  Guess Shelter Mom
really had faith in me.  And I guess Lacey surprised quite a few of us.

Through her I learned a lot of caring for sick kids.  It took a lot of
TLC and handfeedings to get her recovery going.  She once again began
eating kibble, she danced and played, her coat grew back.  She forgave my
first clumsy attempts at feeding her.  Those times when I got more and
she and I than I actually got into her mouth.  Those on FOB may remember
a pic I posted called 'Quality Time'.  I was a picture of my girl,
wrapped in her fav baby blankie while I fed her.  As it was in the
beginning, so it was in the end.

I won't forget the night she brought me to tears by biting on the squeeky
toy that another girl, Lady, used to play with.  Lady and I would play
'Hide and Squeek' where she would squeek the toy and I would find her.
Lacey new the game well.  It was almost as if Lady had told her, yet
Lady had passed long before.

Lacey outlived Simon, Hershey, and many of the other kids.  Now she goes
to join them at the Rainbow Bridge.  I am certain that she has taken her
righful place alongside Simon in watching over our kids at the Bridge.
I am also certain they are all watching over us.

Goodbye for now ol' girl.  I hope your journey was a safe one.  Daddy
misses you already.

Kevin B