From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 21:47:36 -0500
First of all, I am sorry that you and the ferrets had to go through this.
I hope they will all fully recover.

I have some questions about some of the things you posted.  I first read
your post on another list and there are some differences between the two
posts.  Some of my questions may not have been in the post you made to
the FML, but address statements made on another forum.

What distemper vaccination have you been using?  You and your vet
admittedly are unknowledgeable about Fervac-D.  Until about a year ago,
it was the ONLY approved distemper vaccine for ferrets.  Some people
also use, and prefer, Galaxy-D, though it is off-label for ferrets.

Why did your vet not come prepared for reactions?  Any vaccine can cause
reactions and the person giving the vaccine should be prepared to deal
with them.  Also, I am surprised that Benadryl, an over the counter
medication, was used to counteract a severe reaction.  Normally, steroids
(dexamethasone) are used to treat severe reactions.  Because they take a
while to work, usually epinephrine is given as well.  Oxygen is also
needed in many cases.

Have you submitted the remaining vaccines in that batch to a lab for
analysis?  To my knowledge, that would be the only way to determine
whether the batch was defective or if something else caused the
reactions.  I didn't see this addressed in either of your posts.

Was the vaccine properly shipped and stored, i.e. kept constantly
refrigerated at the proper temperature?  Was it mixed properly?  Was
the correct dosage given?

I'm sure others have questions also.  I would certainly like to see
these items addressed prior to assisting anyone in a lawsuit.  Especially
a lawsuit which is attempting to remove one of the two approved distemper
vaccines for ferrets.  I would be interested in hearing your
veterinarian's recounting of the incident also.  Perhaps she would post
to the FML about it?

For the record, I have had dozens of ferrets vaccinated over multiple
years.  Fervac-D was used until about a year ago, when we started using
Merial Purevax, the new approved distemper vaccine.  Other than 4-5
isolated mild reactions, I have had no problems with the vaccine.  I do
consider myself very fortunate.

Katharine