From:
Jennifer Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:31:05 -0500
Up until about 2 weeks ago, I never considered owning a ferret.  That is
until I held my first ferret at a pet store.  I was sure they were large
rodents and I had already had my share of hamsters and gerbils over the
years.  My husband and daughter have been asking for a ferret for years
but since I end up being the primary caretaker of our pets, I had put my
foot down on the subject.

The ferret I held was just a baby but he was oh so cute.  I asked the
pet store clerk a little about how to care for them and she told me just
like other "rodents".  She said I could get a "ferret cage" that was
near the ferrets but that ferrets did just fine in any cage or a large
aquarium.  The ferrets in the store were in a large aquarium filled with
a layer of pine shavings which she assured me was a good place for them.

I believe taking responsibility for another's life is not something that
should be done lightly so as tempted as I was, I left the ferret and
went home to do some research.  So far I have learned everything I was
told was wrong.  Ferrets are not rodents, shouldn't be in aquariums,
pine shavings are dangerous, and ferrets shouldn't be confined in a cage
all day.

Now my question.  The pet store sells young ferrets but a local shelter
has primarily older ferrets (about 4 years old).  I am considering
getting an older ferret from the shelter since it will already be train
box trained and I know they don't bite.  Am I making a mistake?  As a
first time ferret owner would I be better off with a young ferret?  I
am also afraid that by getting an older one I will immediately be hit
by major vet bills since from this list it looks like that is just part
of owning a ferret as they get older.  I am willing to pay for medical if
needed but I was hoping to get a little time with a healthy ferret before
dealing with a sick one (if only so I can tell when things are not
normal.)

Thanks for any advice you want to give a newbie.