From:
Aarrow Ranch Aviation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:26:14 -0500
Just a note, I did speak with the representative for Senator Bolling
today where his office called me to discuss the e-mail I had sent
concerning home (ferret) shelters and the restrictions of the proposed
law.

They were very interested in what I had to say where I defended the
Ferret shelters in particular for being not funded by fed or state
resources and that they did not only a general public service but that
the dog and cat shelters that ARE funded by state resources depend on our
shelters to rescue ferrets where they don't and simply refuse Ferrets.

I further petitioned Senator Bolling to further include the Ferret in the
exotic pet catagory that would greatly preclude the spontaneous buyer
from "Oh !!  Isn't that cute!!  I want one !!" mentality where the animal
is the one to suffer, the state animal shelters are burdoned to take them
where they don't and the home non funded Ferret shelter is prevailed upon
by the state funded animal control shelter to take the animal.

If we put restrictions and qualifications on the buyer, this releives the
animal suffering, releives State resources from having to deal with this
issue, and will greatly reduce the need for Ferret shelters overall.
This is what I petitioned Senator Bolling to persue in litigation in the
Agriculture issue of SB-260.

I look forward to hearing more from Senator Bolling and others on this
pressing issue.

Gordon Bengtson
7302 Hunterbrook Drive
Mechanicsville, Va. 23111