From:
April Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:29:44 -0500
>I personally would not want to buy anything from anyone if I was afraid
>there was a chance of ADV contamination either.

I just wanted to help allay anyone's fears about their ferrets getting
ADV from bedding, etc., they've purchased.  You can always wash
everything first, of course, which I recommend anyway, but you should
also know that like Feline Leukemia, ADV is a virus, and as such, won't
live very long outside the body.  So bedding that has been shipped even
from an ADV-positive household shouldn't be cause for contamination
concern of spreading ADV by the time it actually gets to the place it's
going.  The most likely scenarios for contamination involve direct
contact between animals, or a caretaker that handles one animal and then
another within a short period of time, etc.  But bedding shipped out from
one place to another is not a likely candidate for spreading ADV.  FYI!
(The same is true for Feline Leukemia, among other viruses.)

-April

"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman."
-Groundskeeper Willy, "The Simpsons"