From:
Julie Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:20:37 -0800
The perfect, inexpensive ferret gate: Go to Home Depot, or most any
hardware store, and buy a sheet of plain, precut plexiglass.  I use the
28" x 30" x 1/8" (cost $9.98) I bend it slightly, place it in the door
frame, and the pressure of the plexi itself keeps it in place.  ( Place
the curve towards the room the ferrets occupy.  ) I can step over it
easily, but it is too high for the ferrets to get over.  ( You must keep
tall objects away from the gate, however!  ) You can even purchase trim
for the top so it looks nice.  Just measure your doorway(s) and buy the
size slightly longer than your door is wide.  If you get a good fit, you
won't even have to remove it to let the ferrets thru, just slide it up
and it will stay in place.  ( I put an object underneath to prevent it
sliding down...just in case.  ) One of the great joys of my life is
lifting the gate to my kids' bedroom each morning, and watching the furry
flood pour forth!

For a more decorative touch, try the plexi sheets sold to cover
flourescent light fixtures.  These are generally 4' long, so will have
to be cut to size, but they are available in a variety of patterns and
styles.

Dooks!

Julie & the Woozles
21stCenturyFerret.com
"Ferrety stuff for ferrety people"
Dedicated to the support of
24 Carat Ferret Rescue & Shelter, Las Vegas

[Moderator's note: Note that the "real" Weezil Watchers are made from
Lexan (polycarbonate), not Plexiglass (acrylic) and are pre-shaped.  I'm
not saying that regular Plexiglass will or will not work, but there is a
BIG difference between those two materials.  BIG]