From:
April Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 12:07:21 -0500
Wolfy said:
>But I do believe that vets might be a bit misinformed out there about
>the possibility of reactions... about the fact that they should be
>premedicated... and that just because you stay in the office for 30
>min after a reaction won't happen.

Just wanted to point out that there are two different kinds of reactions
to vaccines.  Anaphylactic reactions generally occur immediately after
vaccinating.  Any reactions occurring 30 minutes or later are allergic
reactions, but not anaphylactic shock.  These later reactions, while
often needing some sort of additional treatment, are not as
life-threatening or severe as an immediate anaphylactic reaction.  And
I wholeheartedly agree-sticking around at the vet for 30 minutes after
the shot doesn't mean you won't have a later reaction (the only two
vaccine reactions we had, to the RABIES vaccine IMRAB3, were 45 minutes
and an hour and a half after the vaccine was given, and we premedicate
with Benadryl).  We tell our ferret owners to plan on sticking around
after vaccines for AT LEAST an hour after vaccines.  FYI!

-April AC

"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman."
-Groundskeeper Willy, "The Simpsons"