From:
"Steve & Suki Crandall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1989 10:01:33 -0400
Congrads from Fritter, Hjalmar and Meltdown & their associated bipeds to
Nicia and Mocha and their bipeds on the new Lewis-Paley. They hope that
he remains a quadraped (an advanced lifeform).

The place that is looking into a USDA approved ferret vaccine (which
would probably help the legal status of ferrets in some parts of the
country) is the Morris Animal Foundation. For the past year they have
been soliciting funds for the project, which will cost more than
$50,000. As of the end of March they had only raised $5,000. We HIGHLY
recommend that everyone make whatever donation they can. Should the
gifts prove inadequate, the MAF will refund your gift from a trust
account. Here is an approximation of their note:

--------(cut and post at local vets/ferret dealers/ferret shows)----

NEEDED: A USDA-approved rabies vaccine for ferrets

The Morris Animal Foundation solicited a project to test existing
rabies vaccines to gain USDA approval for their use in ferrets.
The non-profit Foundation funds studies of companion animal
health problems.

Final approval of the project is expected in June. Work can
begin when sufficient funds are available. Approximately 10
per cent of the necessary money has been collected.

YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED! Without your help, ferrets
will continue to face death for lack of an approved vaccine.
Send donations to Morris Animal Foundation Ferret Fund.

Enclosed is my gift of $________ for the Ferret Rabies Vaccine Fund.
Make the check to Morris Animal Foundation Ferret Fund.

Name:

Address:

City/State/Zip:

I am a member of (check one only) __IFA __UFO __FFC __CDFA __PIJAC __AVMA

        Morris Animal Foundation
        45 Inverness Drive East
        Englewood, CO  80112-5480
        (303) 790-2345

Do any of the Calif people know anything about any recent progress in
the legality of ferrets there? We had heard rumors that something was
before the legislature. In addition to the regular bad press ferrets
have been getting, Calif game & fish officials seem to have confused
ferrets with the mongoose. They look somewhat similar at 100', but are
totally different unrelated animals!

(I am being heavily recruited by a Calif company these days and keep
telling them that they have to change the ferret laws before I would
agree to live in such a state.)

We haven't heard anything about the status of Wyoming Black-Footed
Ferrets, although new kits should be appearing now. I was in Montana
a month ago and visited a potential site where BFFs may be re-introduced.
The last confirmed BFF sighting at this location was in 1962. It still
has a rather large Prairie Dog town.

Our Hell for Leather Ferret, Meltdown, has learned how to jump from person
to person at shoulder level. It was quite startling the first time it
happened, but she is a pretty good flyer. She is also very good at
climbing up anything including people. She may think she is a bat in
training.

        Steve, Sukie, Fritter, Hjalmar and Meltdown