From:
Dee Vecchione <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 08:48:17 -0500
Hi FML,

Here in NJ, we're getting blanketed by 4 to 8 inches of snow.  Snow wimps
that we are, that means a snow day and no work!  Yay!

In fact, at the mere mention of snow, supermarkets fill up and milk,
bread and eggs are the hottest tickets in town.  The joke is that
everybody in the Philadelphia area must be making french toast!<VBG>
So, I decided to respond to a few FML posts with all this bonus time on
my hands.

Selina wrote:
>but it was odd that he had the classic signs of insulinoma but nothing
>was found.  my vet has only seen it in one ferret before in his 20+ years
>of exotic practice.  is it common?

You didn't mention if he had a fasting blood glucose done.  If the blood
glucose confirmed insulinoma, yet no nodules could be seen or felt, then
your vet should have performed a partial pancreatomy.  I'm pretty sure
the rule of thumb is to not come out empty-handed.  My understanding is
that insulinomas can often be microscopic, so that by taking part of the
pancreas, you'll be likely to get at least some of them and that should
help to raise the blood sugar.

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost the little guy a week after surgery.
My heart goes out to you.  I just lost my Molly last month.  I know how
much it hurts.

Hugs,
Dodie