From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:55:13 -0500
>2. Doors that are easy for humans to open, but impossible for
>ferrets to open

Respectfully, I have to disagree with this.  We have five SuperPet
cages - two purchased, three received with surrenders.  The older
SuperPet cages were notoriously easy for a ferret to open, and tend to
get looser as they get older.  We have one ferret who *cannot* be kept
in this cage - even with the door latched, the latch pushed behind
another wire, and two spring clips on the door, he *still* gets out.
Part of the problem is that the door fits into the cage opening, rather
than overlapping it on all sides.  This leaves a small gap that, if the
ferrets can manage to widen it enough, they can squeeze through.

SuperPet apparently recognized this, and their newer cages are a bit
tighter.  So tight, in fact, that it's nearly impossible for a *human*
to open the side doors without attacking them with tools.  The front
door now double-latches, but the problem with the gap remains.

>3. Have two doors on the front and two on each side

True, but the doors are much too small to be useful.  Standard litter
boxes will not fit through them.  When using the tiny side doors, I
have to be very careful to avoid scraping my knuckles - or the ferret -
against the cage.

I'm not trying to bash SuperPet.  The cages are reasonably priced and
do have a couple of pluses, like the adjustable solid shelves and the
ability to break them down as Lori mentioned.  They are also very easy
to find - most local pet stores carry or can get them.  I just feel you
can do better for your money.

Hats off to Betty for a great post!  For what it's worth, I have to say
that ours have much more pronounced, much better developed personalities
since we took them out of the cages and let them free-roam.  Caging seems
to stifle them, even with daily playtimes.  Your mileage may vary - this
is simply my observation and opinion.

roger & the fuzzies
missing bear