From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:05:31 -0500
>I have a friend that has credit card for her shelter.

To what has been said on the topic in general, let me add my "So what?"
on this particular point.

We Americans (don't know about elsewhere) seem to think credit cards are
a panacea, free money.  Well, kids, it ain't so.  It still comes out of
your pocket at the end of the month, PLUS fees and interest.  If you
don't have the cash, you don't need to be whipping out that plastic.
If you *don't* pay the bills every month, you will end up in far more
hot water than you would without the card in the first place.

If you intend this to mean, "If she's short of cash now she can use
credit and pay the bill later," well what then happens if an emergency
surgery arises just before the credit card bill comes?  Well, there go
the plans to pay off the bill!  Now she's not only paying for the little
ADV test, but interest for it every month.  She's just digging herself
deeper and deeper and deeper....

This is assuming the shelter operator even HAS a regular, paying job that
will supply the paycheck to pay off that credit card bill.  Many don't.

Credit cards and credit in general are destroying our economy folks.
En masse we owe far more than we can ever hope to pay off.  Someday soon
we're going to have to pay the piper....

Instead of picking on and second-guessing our shelter operators, why
don't we help out instead?  If a simple ADV test is so inexpensive, why
not whip out that checkbook right now and send Kim a check?  If it's
really that cheap, you won't miss the money.

As for me, I already do help.  I send small donations to several shelters
near me every month.  It's not so much that I really miss it, and if it
helps pay for just one ADV test, or one little bag of food, then it's
worth it.  If every FML member gave just $1 a month, that's nearly $3000.
That's $36,000 a year folks - a decent salary for someone, but a drop in
the bucket compared to the upkeep and medical costs for all of the
shelter ferrets out there.

roger & the fuzzies
missing bear