From:
Cheryl Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 15:15:24 EST
Hello all,

I have been a memeber of the FML for some time.  Having only posted once
before, I felt the need to post again.

Last night I lost another wonderful ferret.  At apporximately 12:30 last
night my sweet little angel, Peanut, left me for the Rainbow Bridge.  I
am unsure as the her age because I rescued her about 6 months ago.  She,
like so many others, came to me because she was unwanted, ill cared for,
and even mistreated.  The man who called me said that his daughter had
gone away to college and he was not going to care for these 'rats'.
Furthermore, he stated that he had put Peanut and her mate Sunny in a
cardboard box on the lawn a few hours ago but had no response.  The only
reason I was receiving this call was because the ferrets had been on the
lawn for a few hours with no takers and he was leaving for the weekend.
He gave me his address and hung up.  I immediately went to the address
and there I found 2 extremely hot, malnurished, and dirty ferrets.  I
rushed them to my vet's office.  She was able to save their lives.
However, she did say that if they had been out there much longer they
would have died from heat exhaustion.  I took them home, bathed, clipped
nails (which were curled around), and cleaned black crusty ears.  I then
went about the ducksoup, ulcer treatment regimen every 3 hours for days.
I finally got some weight on them and was pleased to see Sunny play.
However, little Peanut (I gave them both names as the man couldn't even
tell me that), was still very frail and weak.  We checked her sugar level
but it was fine.  My vet then found a small mass in her abdominal cavity.
My vet felt Peanut was too old and frail to survive surgery.  She said I
should just love her as long as I can.  Peanut was so sweet.  She loved
to be cuddled and hugged.  She would fall asleep on me all the time.
Wednesday evening she became very lethargic and weak.  I started the duck
soup regimen again.  She just continued to go downhill until last evening
when I lost her.  Sunny now has to live without her Peanut.  It greatly
distresses me to realize that I only had Peanut for such a short time.
I hope she knew how much she was loved and is terribly missed.  I wish
people would think before they acted so harshly.  It pains me greatly
to think of all the fuzzies that are so badly cared for.

I have 26 remaining fuzzies to love.  care for, and be loved by.  I do
terribly miss the ones I have lost Abner, Bonnie, Clyde, Snowball, Tina,
Gracie, Gizmo, Baby, Odi, Clyde (2), Judith, Sugar Pie, Bo, Jangles,
Paul, and Peanut.  Ferrets have such a way about them that I can't even
explain.  My friends think I am just odd in my love for them.  But you
see, I know that ferrets are little angels that need/want to be loved and
give love.  It hurts so bad to lose them but I can't imagine my life
without them.  Thanks so much for reading.  The FML is a great way to
relieve some of the pain and relish in the joy.

Peanut is missed terribly by:
Cheryl and Wendy - moms Bear and Bailey - dogs Norman - Rat Shadow, P.J.,
and Jake - cats

FERRETS:
Oscar, Elmo, Uri, Yogi, Taz, Indy, Witchie-Poo, Snowman, Co-Co, Squeak,
Beans, Milo, Podo, Spot, Puffy, Bully, Moose, Kodo, Sunny, Teddy, Gyro,
Max, Smokey, Snowball, George, and Rugrat.

Thank you
Cheryl (cAt)

What is man without the beasts?  If all the beasts were gone, men would
die from a great loneliness of spirit.  For whatever happens to the
beasts, soon happens to man.  All things are connected.