From:
christine herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 05:25:21 -0800
I have read several posts the last couple of weeks about ferrets in NYC.
For a city that is overrun with young guys dragging pitbulls around, whom
they train to be antisocial, and the " person" most likely standing next
to you on the subway platform is a rat...the ferret ban is the height of
ignorance.There are millons of homeless cats and dogs here, and perhaps
the ban is really to prevent more of the homeless animal population..
Shelters bulge at the seams..

But all this is the problem of people and not animals.So all I can say
about ferrets is new york city is this:

I live in New York City
but I won't say where
a spacious doorman building
a penthouse heaven here.

yes, I have a secret,
a foaming rabid vice
I am a die hard lover of
those 'dirty feral mice"

They run and tumble thru my rooms
and dance upon the cat
they jump and scamper in the halls,
till best is made of that.

Then they settle on the bed
or in a cozy space.
I kiss their noses one by one
and look into their face.

So i get a kiss returned,
a  thank you  for my care
from those 'vicious biting weasels'
who "mangle children" here.

For really they are wise and trusting
curious and fun
an inborn gentl nature ,
with intelligence, then some.

Domestic and dependable
affectionate and cute
better friends than some people
and that's the crappy truth.

cause here in New York City,
where it's dog eat dog,
and sharks rule the street at night
and big bussiness is a hog

even the most ruthless have a secret place
for a fuzzy pet at home to calm the big rat race.
so I'll keep my "dirty mice" with their soulful eyes
and be an outlaw bandit
cause i've been suprised.

the only thing the weasels and New Yorkers do the same
is steal your stuff in a flash
and shrug away the blame.

Christine....Weasel Ward
http://www.geocities.com/christineherman2002/

[Moderator's note: It was kind jumbled together so I added some spaces.
If I screwed up the rhythm of that great poem, it's my fault :-(  BIG]