From:
bill and diane killian - zen and the art of ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 06:40:57 -0700
>My ferrets are going to their very first show!  It's sponsored by our
>local ferret shelter, The Greater Chicago Ferret Association on Oct. 5th.
>
>I have 2 of my "big boys" Chumley-Chew and Scrappy-Doo, entered in
>championship alter and best of class (champagne) also we are going to
>enter some of the fun contests like the tunnel race and yawning contest
>with Goosie and Mookie.
>
>Since this is our first time and we're not sure what to expect, I was
>wondering if any one had any advice or stories they could perhaps share
>with us.  Also, what exactly are the judges looking for?  And I heard
>the nails have to be trimmed a certain way?  What way would this be?

Don't believe anyone about what judge's look for except the two of us or
Lisa Leidig. <g>  Oh we are your friendly judges of course.

Nails should be trimmed.  THey should not be so short they look painfully
close to the quick, but short enough that they look like you take care of
them.  We don't use micrometers to measure them or anything,

Ears should be clean.

Fur should be clean.

Ferrets should be well fed but not over fed.

They should be not too long but not too short.

Not too stocky and not too lanky.

Oh and symmetrical.  Ferrets should look the same on both sides.

It really is fairly hard to describe what we look for in a brief email.

Actually in both people and ferrets the more average the better for
looks.  Seriously - some computer scientists did an averaging through
morphing technology of hundreds of pictures of women and the more they
averaged in the better the image looked.

It doesn't help now, but I'm sure any of the three of us will be more
than happy to talk to you at the show.  We will be real busy most of the
day since we usually have a lot of ferrets to judge and a very serious
deadline.  We don't run way into the night like some other shows.

>Thank you so much, we are VERY excited and looking forward to this!

I'm happy about that.  Ferret shows really can be a lot of fun if people
let them.  Too many lately are all about politics and not about ferrets.
Attendance has dropped down at the shows of the worst offenders.

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets