Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:13:08 EST
Dear Teresa

Your condo association was sadly mistaken when they said:
>It has come to my attention that you have ferrets in your unit.  Sections
>12.5 & 12.6 of the Association Documents are clear on pets and state that
>no rodents or livestock are permitted.
>
>The bottom line is the ferrets will have to go.  Please take necessary
>steps to be in compliance with The Documents.

There are a couple of documents that you can provide for your
Association.  The first is the Compendium for Rabies Control, provided
by the The National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians
Committee on the AVMA website in which the ferrets are considered the
same as dogs and cats.  It also clearly defines them as domestic pets,
not as livestock (a starting point).

http://www.avma.org/pubhlth/rabcont.asp

Then send them to the following taxonomy website, in which ferrets
complete classification can be found, which in ferrets is
Mammalia/Carnivora(at this point the distinction between rodentia is
apparent)/mustelidae.

http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/classification.htm

You can provide a document from your vet in which he/she defines a ferret
correctly as a pet instead of livestock and a carnivore versus a rodent.

You can talk to a lawyer about the association's erroneous stance on
ferrets and see where you stand.  I would bring a complete copy of the
association's contract with you so that he/she can read over the section
noted.

You may want to just contact the association board in person.  Present
your information that shows where the mistake was made by the board
and ask that the whole matter be dropped.  The more professional and
calm that you act, the more likely the whole thing will be seen as a
misunderstanding and no further action needed.

I hope that this helps.

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
www.ferrethaven.org