From:
"Three Rivers Ferret Council, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:46:52 -0400
Dear Ferret Lovers,

On August 10, 2002 - One of our loving ferret moms went to a ferret
"shelter" in Maryland to relieve the owner of the shelter's residents, as
the owner could no longer care for the ferrets.  Upon arrival, our friend
found over 40 ferrets roaming free in the house.  None of them had ever
been caged or seen a litter pan.  The house was filthy (poop covered
everything, including the sofa), so the ferrets didn't have proper ferret
potty habits.  Basically they would go wherever they were -- including on
their fellow ferrets.  Many had open, infected sores (presumably urine
burns).  The ferrets had been fed regularly (albeit cat food) and
handled, but had never seen a vet.  Many cried out in pain when touched.
Many had huge tumors, no hair and obvious physical problems.  Our friend
and a veterinarian friend removed all the ferrets and examined them.  Our
friend took 18 who looked like they could be helped with good care and
surgery, and could most likely be eventually adopted out.  The vet friend
took 15 older but still reasonably healthy ferrets.  Sadly, the rest of
the ferrets had to be helped to the Rainbow Bridge to end their
suffering. :o(

The remaining 18 ferrets are in desperate need of medical care and the
TRFC has set up a fund to help offset these ferrets expenses.  Please,
if you can find a spare $1 or more - consider visiting our web page
(http://home.att.net/~trferretcouncil/mdferrets.htm) for these ferrets
complete sad story and individual descriptions.  Choose to sponsor one
or more of them if you wish, or send what you can to help.

Checks and money orders can be mailed to:
MD Ferret Rescue Fund
c/o Three Rivers Ferret Council, Inc.
PO Box 7412
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-0412

We are a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization, so your donation is
tax-deductible!!  We also accept Visa, MasterCard & PayPal.  Contact
us by email for instructions.

Thank you,

Three Rivers Ferret Council, Inc.
a 501c(3) Non-Profit Organization