From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:16:48 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=1245

One thing that I would be primarily concerned about at this point is a
recurrence of the dehydration.  Animals in extreme states such as your
ferret often need SQ on a daily basis - the best thing that your vet can
do in such cases is show you how to do this at home.  Dehydrated animals
just don't eat or take in water - it is a vicious cycle.  This finding is
probably the primary cause of her not being able to move, although I
surmise that her caloric intake (if you are spoon feeding) is also way
down.

While this is not the norm with ECE, it can happen to any ferret who is
chronically dehydrated as the precipitating factor.

The appearance of the feces also suggests the possibility of an ulcer as
well - the black color and formless nature of the feces suggests this as
an added complication.

What is the best thing to do right now - start getting as much fluid into
her as possible, especially by subcutaneous means.  I would suggest that
this will really start to turn things around.

ECE is not transmissible dogs, cats, or humans, but each can mechanically
carry the virus to other susceptible mustelids.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM