From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:05:59 -0500
If they haven't been checked into there are some interesting geriatrics
studies done partly by folks at Tufts that attribute more value to the
higher levels of muscularity that are often found in lean folks than in
fewer calories consumed.  Of course, both could be useful things to have
on one's side... Look into research into sarcopenia for those aspects.
Anyway, it's an aspect that affects human studies of the long-lived, and
certainly poor levels of muscularity have also been shown to have
multiple negative health affects in multiple species and have downsides
for ferrets such as some which Betty mentioned so well in her post.  I
agree that we do have to consider how over-weight -- including the
extreme forms Betty mentioned which really are too common -- may play
into bad outcomes, but having been too often through the difficulty of
nursing very naturally gracile ones I know that leanness too often makes
nursing harder and may shorten lifespans in that way, so I tend to prefer
a middle ground when that is attainable.  Then again, we make a point of
taking in ones who already have major strikes against them so that causes
our household to differ from many others.  One thing that seems to work
well with the ones we've had here as a predictor of a decent lifespan is
good muscularity.

Muscle levels are important enough in multiple studies of assorted
species that they even can off-set some of the effects of over-weight,
and when there is good muscularity they can offset some of those
extremely well.

If restricting diet then it may be more important to have some kibble in
the diet from the ferret-specific high quality foods to make sure to not
lack any essential micronutrients.

>Recently a response from the FHL was crossposted here (it was on vaccine
>duration).  I wrote the original post to the FHL and because none of my
>original post was forwarded I am sending it now.  I appreciate you
>forwarding these posts to this list for the benefit of others Sukie, but
>in this case I feel the actual questions should of been sent along with
>the reply.

Thanks, Amy.  Sometimes there are time or space constraints.

One IMPORTANT thing that may be of use to you was a past discussion that
vets were in about the problems with know what titer levels to treat as
effective.  You'll want to go to the FHL archives and read there.  I've
been hoping to have the time to search those out for the discussion on
teh FHL but just haven't had the time.