From:
Carolina Arismendi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:01:10 EDT
Hi

I was wondering if anyone who has gone through or knows anything/anyone
about liver disease in ferrets could e-mail me.  After many months of
medications, blood work, ultrasounds and exploratory surgery (in which we
found his gall bladder was backed up because his bile duct was not
draining properly into the duodenum causing back up of bile) and biopsies
of liver and surrounding areas my ferret Everest was diagnosed with liver
disease.  Even after correcting his gall bladder problems, that we were
unaware of up until the vet did the exploratory surgery (back in July),
we have not been successful in bringing back his bilirubin and ALT levels
down to normal.  He has been on many different medications and his levels
keep getting higher.  His bilirubin level at the moment is 1.2 and ALT is
over 1000 the highest they have ever been.  If you have gone through this
or can offer any advise I'd greatly appreciate your help.  By looking at
my Everest you would not think anything was wrong with him, he's his
usual crazy/lazy self.  I want to know what type of things were done to
help your ferret(s) and what types of medications were used, to make sure
my vet is doing everything possible and we do not overlook anything....I
want to do everything possible to help my little guy, before he begins to
get sick and there is no controlling his liver disease.  I am very much
aware of the fact that we will not be able to cure it but with the
correct medications we can keep it under control and he can have a pretty
normal life...please help me if you can.  I thank you very much.

Carolina and ferret Everest