From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:13:00 EDT
I suffer from severe bipolar I (with yes, psychotic tendencies) and OCD.
Now, ferrets do not help my OCD, in fact they may exacerbate it a bit.
But boy do they help the other problem.  I can't tell you often I'll be
in a full manic swing, but I must work in that ferret room at least twice
a day.  Each time, I have to slow down, I have duties to do, grooming to
do, work to do.  It's very quiet and calming down there, and no matter
how bad I"m doing, I get caught up loving on them.  They demand it,
but without being intrusive if that makes any sense.  When I swing the
opposite and fall into depression, that is when they really help me
the most.  When I'm so bad that I am hiding away upstairs away from
everything and even them, I look at the clock and know it's time that I
must go feed them and care for them.  So I drag myself down there, go
through the motions of everything, and lo and behold I feel a little
relief.  If only temporary, I get relief.  I can even smile down there.
Being that I must go down there at least twice a day even when I'm at my
sickest, ferret care keeps me level.  They gives me structure.  They
gives me a reason to move when I'm immobilized.

My family realizes this so when they have their ferrets upstairs playing
during the day they constantly are putting them in my lap.  When I'm in
the shower, I hear a giggle from one of the boys and a door open and
close.  Then I see Dippy!  When I'm in my bedroom, I hear a door creak
open... and there are weasils in my bedroom to get me out of bed.

They really put a much needed regimin and focus in my life.  I feel
needed and loved.  Being that they require care through out the day and
not just once or twice a day, their presence keeps me very grounded.

When I was 16, with a swollen spleen and mono in bed for months, I
dont know what I woulda done without my Baby.  She lived with me in my
bedroom, and kept me company.  I lived on a farm with dogs, cats, horses,
and the like... and I can't explain it but they did not have nearly the
same effect on me.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/