From:
Shawn Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 06:19:52 -0700
For almost a year I have been trying to cope with a plethora of
illnesses.  In March, my fiancEe got me a couple of ferrets to help
keep me company as an engagement gift-- I had spent the month before
he proposed in a wheelchair and just was able to walk a bit again.  The
fur kids were exactly what I needed to keep me occupied and enjoying
confinement to our apartment rather than the usual tolerating it.

As a wedding gift, we added three more-- I love ferret math!  I can sit
with them in their playpen and become one of their toys; they climb on
me, play chase the hand, lick their mommy to death, and try to crawl
under my clothes.  Having limited range of motion at times, these guys
are perfect!  No animal can love like a ferret.

Some people believe ferrets are lacking in intelligence, but I (and you
too) know better.  Along with a few physical issues, I am blind.  My
ferrets know and understand this.  They come to my hands to be picked up;
they mouth my fingers to suggest a play session and then, as loud as they
can, jump up and down so I can hear them to know where to chase them;
They whine when I do not quite get what they are trying to tell me.  They
listen to me too (They prefer to just ignore that my husband exists); no
more climbing up the five foot tall cages and attempt to fly, and no more
knocking books off the book shelf.  They are all going on one month with
a one hundred percent cage accuracy when it comes to bathroom time if
they are out playing )Finding "messes" when you can't see them can be
rather difficult and messy).

The time is priceless when my husband brings in a squirming fuzzy to me
in bed when I can't get out of the bed that day; the fur kid calms down,
lays with his/her mommy, and goes to sleep.  It may all be something you
all are used to, but it still makes me teary-eyed when I can "see" that
they understand.

Anyway, I just had to share with you all a glimpse into our furry family;
guess I'm too sentimental today.

Dooks to all,
Lori Richardson

Lance: "Why won't she come over and open up da cage?"
Merlin: "Wake up da Mokey; Mama always falls for her cuteness."
Pirate: "Dah! Don't ya know da Mama can't see ya? Not even da beauty of
da Mokey girl can get her over here."
Loki: "So how we gonna get out?-- Da Daddy be watching football again,
so no hope in him getting us out."
Pirate: "Watch this!" (Whine)
Loki: "Here comes da Mama!"
Lance: "Pirate, how you do dat?"