From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 05:12:24 EDT
Hello all ~

It's late at night and my thinking becomes either creative or wuzzled....
hum...wonder what you're gonna get?  I remember reading "For the Ferrets"
by someone's sign off post, and it has been running through my mind all
night.

OK creative is taking control.  I just got back online after a lot of
time up at the clinic.  It seems to me from reading this list that there
are a lot of different needs in significant areas that we can address as
a talented group.  I know if we put all of our talents together there
would be a group who could build; a group who could advertise an event; a
group who could PLAN an event for a fundraiser; a group who could do
accounting; and a group to do those little things one does to make money
grow; and many other special talents.

It seems the main problem is in 2 areas: too many ferrets in the area;
not enough forever homes

So maybe we need to look at supply and demand and talk to Marshall farms
about lowering production (only has to be in this area) by a certain
percentage for a few months.

Then we need to help get the shelters where they need to be to keep our
little ones safe through the winter.  We'd need lists of requests from
each shelter.  This is already being worked on, I think.

Then we need some of you lovely people who can write out there, to do up
articles for your local newspaper on a ferret story or event.  The main
idea is education about how wonderful our little ones are and SAFE.  Then
those of you who like to speak can go to local PTA groups and schools and
do a small presentation of what's happening with the ferrets in your
community.

Since there are many fundraisers already going on on E-Bay and elsewhere,
I was thinking something more general with a speaker (maybe a vet) doing
a presentation on the health of ferrets and their need to be loved while
they are with us.

Then (and this is my pet project), I'd like to be able to keep up with
ongoing and future research to make their lives longer and healthier.  I
hate it that they get so sick so often.

Finally I'd like to see a small, neat, pile of money safely invested for
those who need surgery and vet care to draw from.  The guidelines can be
drawn up later, but you get the idea.

So maybe we just all need to adopt the attitude those builders had who
got the pentegon completely rebuilt one year to the day, when it was not
supposed to be possible.  We'll raise money for the shelters; have the
fundraisers; get publicity; appear in print by telling stories and
flashing our own pictures, so that by next winter each shelter can say
I'm ready for winter!!!

Jazzy's suggestion for a speaker:  I...I want it to be Kouri!!

Barney's (our cocker) suggestion for a speaker: I want Emeril to make us
dog foods

Now at Hogworts they'd just plan to "magic" it with a wand
Up north they'd be skeptical
Down south they'd ask "What'd ya say?"
And on this list we say "For the Ferrets"

Let's roll!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warmly ~
Mary

Herbalist