Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 02:12:45 -0600
It's hard to believe after so many years that we've had to say good-bye
to so many ferrets and it doesn't get any easier, even when you have
*experience* behind you.  Since most of the ferrets we took in were
ill to begin with, the majority of them had to be euthanized, which in
my mind is still the kindest thing you can do to an animal that is
suffering.  I don't believe in allowing an animal to die on its own when
it is known to be sick, at death's door, or severely injured.  It just
doesn't seem right to me to allow them to have to bear more pain when we
have the ability to ease it and give them a much kinder transition to the
after life.

In all cases, I do let my ferrets say their goodbyes to the ferret that
has passed.  In most cases it doesn't look like they care one way or
another, but sometimes, one or two of the ferrets do something unusual
with the body of the departed by licking it, grooming it, or nuzzling it
in a gentle and careful way.  There is something about the way that
certain ferrets behave with the recently departed that touches me and so,
I continue to allow them the opportunity to say goodbye, even if the
majority of the group don't seem to care.

For me though, the process takes quite a bit longer and sometimes I am
jealous that the ferrets seem to take the deaths far better than I do.
But there is something to be said of the human heart and its ability to
love... although it has a set size, its ability to fill it with love for
another creature is boundless.  And for a piece of strong muscle it
certainly can be the weakest part of the body when it comes to losing a
loved one.

Handling a death is never easy and worst, the people around you never
seem to know what to say or to do.  And when they do, they never seem to
say the right thing... "It's only a ferret." "Just get another one." "Get
over it, it was only an animal." Luckily, the FML and the people in the
ferret rescue I volunteer for have the kind of heart a hurting soul
needs.  Although there are differences in how we view the after life and
what it has to offer, it is important only for the person who has the
loss to find comfort in what ever he or she believes in.  It matters not
what others think... only that you find comfort where you need it in
order to heal a wounded heart.

The decision to euthanize is never easy and always comes with regret.
Did I do the right thing?  Was there another procedure that could have
been tried?  Did I do everything I should do?  Would the outcome be the
same?  I find that although people tell me to trust my decisions, I just
can't get past thinking that I could have done more.  And that is why the
heart ends up hurting so much.

Finding a cold body isn't any easier... most times it happens when you
least expect it, or when you expect another ferret to go instead.  Guilt
seems to follow as I always ask if there was something I didn't notice,
or pick up on that could have prevented their death.  There has been no
death that I can speak of that was expected in 18 years of ferret care,
or looking after over 45 ferrets.

But the rewards of having these little guys around is worth more than the
worry about how I am going to deal with the next death.  I concentrate on
what I can do for them while they are still alive and I think that is all
anyone can really do.  Love them... cherish them... and find that special
something in them that separates them from everything else.  If we can do
that, then their passing is a *little* easier to take...

hugs to all those that have recently lost a loved one.... my heart is
with you.

betty and her blur o'fur
for the love of ferrets