From:
Sharon Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 18:28:34 EDT
I know there have been many posts already covering every aspect on the
Annoyed person's post, but had to put my two cents in.

have children, those who are grieving lost ferrets and to the creator
of Sandee.

The problem with having pets is not that some people think of them as
children and are therefore fanatics; the problem is that too many people
think of them as objects to buy and discard like a piece of furniture.

I first heard about the Rainbow Bridge when I was grieving the loss of
my cat, Yoda, of 19 years.  She was with me through lost pregnancies,
divorce, illness, broken relationships and work crises.  No matter what,
she was always by my side.  I called a number for people grieving for
their pets and they sent me the poem about the Rainbow Bridge.  I can't
even express how much it helped me to think that there was even a
possibility of such a place where we would be reunited with our beloved
animal companions.  It took me two years before I could bring another
animal into my life, which is my ferret Rocky.

I have had all kinds of animal friends throughout my life who have helped
me through through life with their love and devotion.  But I will say
that none compare to the companionship and love of a ferret.  When I
first joined the FML I, too, thought that some members seemed a bit
fanatical.  But after living with a ferret for 1 1/2 years, I understand
how they feel and that they are not "fanatics" but simply passionate
about their love for ferrets.  Some of my friends think I'm obsessed with
my ferret.  They can call it what they like; to me it is love.  I have
never before lived with an animal (or human) who wants to be involved in
everything I do, makes me laugh no matter how bad my day was and reacts
so strongly to being separated from me.

Though animals are not the same as children, their love is pure,
unconditional and enduring.  Unlike with human relationships, what you
put into your relationship with an animal is what you receive.  Many
children end up hating and abandoning the parents who sacrificed for
them.

As far as Sandee goes, I think these posts are a kind, creative and
supportive way to comfort grieving ferret lovers.  Though I have not yet
lost a ferret, I can imagine how incredibly painful it must be because
our bond with them is so strong.  To imagine that ferrets who suffered
from illness or died a horrible death have a guide to help them pass from
life on earth to the joys of a ferret heaven is a beautiful thought.
Whether you like it or not, think of the time and energy Sandee's creator
puts into each and every lost ferret.  This is an extremely kind-hearted,
dedicated person who gives time to all FML members.

When I first started reading FML, I didn't like the fact that there were
so many posts about losing ferrets because it was so sad and reminded me
that one day I, too, will lose my beloved ferret.  But over time, I was
impressed with the love and support that members give each other--more
than you could ever expect from friends and family who do not know the
joys of living with ferrets.  As important as these posts are, I still
have to skip over most of them.

The bottom line is that reading the FML is like reading a newspaper: you
read the headlines and skip over the stories that don't interest you or
might upset you.  Rather than complaining and criticizing people whose
interests and feelings are different from yours, you should read the
posts you find helpful or look for a list that better suits your needs.

Sharon Edwards