From:
April Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:05:20 -0400
A few FMLs ago I read a post regarding outdated Maine regulations
regarding ferrets (from Alicia, I think) and wrote a letter to some Maine
legislators to ask about it.  I heard back from several of them rather
quickly, and got the best info from Rep.  Harold Clough, whose neighbor
is a DVM and who checked with the neighbor and researched the current
statutes.

Part of the post that originally caught my attention and made me write to
Rep. Clough and others:

"Chapter 730
Ferrets
3966 Control of ferrets; seller's obligation

>2. Transfer of ownership.  Any licensed kennel, pet shop, shelter, or
>vet(erinarian who) transfers ownership of a ferret shall provide
>notification in writing as to the following:
>
>A. Ferrets have been known to attack humans, particularly children,
>   and without warning.
>B. There is no proven vaccine for rabies in ferrets nor is there an
>   (accepted) procedure for judging a rabid ferret without sacrificing
>   the ferret.  A ferret (that bites) a person may be immediately seized
>   and put to death by the State in order (to obtain) necessary test
>   samples."

What Rep. Clough sent me (I left out the first few back-and-forths we
had-basically just my inquiry/mentioning that the above was inaccurate
and his "I'll look into it"):