From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:08:01 -0400
Why not join and ask in the FHL where a number of experts who are
familiar with the endocrinology of ferrets specifically could tackle
it?  Vet, Jerry Murray, who is currently participating in some related
endocrinology research is there as are a number of very knowledgeable
souls.
----

>Rhun (a.k.a. LittleRhunGirl) has learned to climb curtains.  Yep.  All
>the way to the top.  She did not, however, stay in Curtain Climbing 101
>class long enough to learn how to get back down.

When Ashling turns her closet climbing into forays outside onto the
Shaker pegs and nearby door top she also calls us to rescue her.  For her
normal curtain climbs and closet climbs she does know how to get down,
though.  Here's the trick: lock front claws into curtain or into a long
dress, disengage rear claws and let bum hang, allow one's own weight to
slowly lower one down the ripping fabric like in a 1940's movie pirate
scene where the dashing rapscallion brings himself down a sail by his
blade points.
----

The drain bum story forced Steve into screen cleaning mode. (Never read
a funny story while drinking a soda pop.)
----

>pulled the ad... Actually I don't think I have seen it any where

Immediately before the ads seem to have stopped everywhere I had a call
from a very polite young woman named Christine Schultz who was calling
from the office of the president of Verizon Wireless.  From what she said
had apparently been assigned to follow-up on the assorted snail mail
letters and to report directly to the advertising VP at Verizon with her
conclusions in the name of their president's office, so i was among those
she called that day.  We discussed the problems that arise from violent
portrayals, how true ads like ferrets stealing cell phones (which had her
in stitches) would be okay since true, that there are an estimated 7
million domestic ferrets in the U.S., plus that there are many ways for
their competitors to get ferret-people mailing lists to initiate direct
mail advertising to attract ferret folks away from Verizon, sales and PR
aspects since we both understood those from experience, etc.  I expect
that the other folks she called supplied similar information.

The ads kept going on when e-mails were generated, with only several
form letters meant to appease being created by Verizon and THOSE MESSAGE
APPEAR (It's an impression from what was said.) TO HAVE NOT GONE ANY
FURTHER THOUGH THE NUMBERS DID, SO THOSE NUMBERS PLAYED AN ESSENTIAL
ROLE, but -- as usual -- snail mail to the top made an impact for the
specifics (as opposed to the numbers) since the ads stopped as soon as
Verizon began following up on those, so everyone who sent a snail mail
or e-mail can take a bow if the ads have actually stopped, and those who
sent e-mail can know that they contributed to the numbers kept.

*****I think that if the numbers had not been high enough they would not
have followed-up on the snail mail, but if the snail mail had not been
generated they would not have thought that folks were actually taking
enough time for this to matter and would not have known the specifics.
each played an essential role and neither would have worked alone.  This
was entirely a group effort.*****

(BTW, to get attention and use the "picture-worth-a-thousand-words
principle", I sent my note inside a "Thank you" card with a cuddly ferret
and great big "Thank you" on the front, then I wrote in something like
"for stopping that violent ferret ad", and then told why they should
stop it.)

(I keep waiting, dreading its return but so far it hasn't.)