Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 11:57:07 -0400
Hi,

>Calvin also had a nodule removed from his pancreas and his glucose is
>337.... Our vet thought the dexamethasone he's on might be causing the
>high glucose.

Ker Avon's blood glucose rose to 350 after insulinoma surgery, and Podo's
rose all the way to 486.  Our vet says this is reasonably common.  He
explained that when glucose rises the pancreas gets signals to produce
more insulin.  In insulinoma the tumor(s) are producing excess insulin
so the normal cells of the pancreas basically shutdown.  After the tumor
is removed it takes time for the cells that have been unused for so long
to start up again.

Within a week or so blood glucose normalizes in most cases.  That's been
our experience here and it seems to confirm what he is saying.

Continuing to monitor Calvin's blood glucose is the best thing you can
do.

The usual disclaimer applies:  I am not a vet, just a ferret owner who
has had to deal with insulinoma in four of my ferrets, two of which have
had surgery so far.  Kodo (age eight) may have to be next if we can't
get his blood glucose up :(

All the best,
Caity and the neverendingly-playful nine