Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 16:09:19 -0400
Dear fellow ferret lovers,

I have returned from yet another vet visit.  More bad news.  Seems my
Zinc has insulinoma.  I've been pretty lucky in terms of dealing with
these illnesses.  Both Zinc and Pixie (my eldest of four) have had
previous surgeries for adrenal, IBD, insulinoma, and mast cell tumors.
It was only with IBD that either of them showed any symptoms.  All the
other diseases have been caught *very* early.  In general, neither had
obvious symptoms of any illness, except IBD.  Well, I take that back.
Each *did* have rat tail, but I'll get to that later.

I'm just so frustrated!  Last August, Zinc had her left adrenal gland
removed.  Then in October, Pixie had her left adrenal and 15% of her
pancreas removed.  In March, Pixie gets 2 mast cell tumors removed, only
to return again in April to remove the right adrenal gland and 10% more
of the pancreas!  So, Pixie is on Percorten and pediapred for the
remainder of her life.  (I had planned to post to the FML about that
whole situation, but I was so overwhelmed with confusion and
concern...and panic...) Now, if that weren't enough, Zinc will now be
undergoing surgery for insulinoma this coming Friday.  Already, since
last August, I've spent over $5000 for just these two ferrets, just
for these surgeries and meds and rechecks related to them.  I'm not
complaining about the money really.  Thankfully (and I cannot say that
enough), I can afford it at the moment.  It seems, though, like my
Pontiac when it turned over 100,000 miles, these two girls are determined
to die and leave me.  And all I'm doing every so many months is pushing
it off just a tiny bit further, but not enough to give them a decent
break.  My poor little girls.  I'm getting frustrated and pissed off, but
it won't stop me.  I'll do whatever it takes and whatever I can to keep
them healthy.  But I worry.  In know both will be back on the table.
Insulinoma seems to always return...

Like I said, I've been lucky.  We've always caught the diseases early
with continual rechecks of blood glucose, blood profiles, and x-rays
and such.  I'm so thankful that neither of my girls have yet had an
insulinomic episode of any sort.  I am very aggressive when it comes to
treatment.  Once I know it's there, I want it out ASAP.  The surgery
cannot happen soon enough.  I don't want their health compromised when
they go under the knife (or laser, actually).  There's no such thing as
"let's wait and see" or "let's keep an eye on it." Thankfully (again),
I have one of the most competent ferret surgeons in the nation, and I
haven't *yet* had a ferret not make it.  There will come a time when
surgery won't be an option, and all I will be able to do is make them
comfortable.  And, eventually, insulinoma will probably take them from
me.  I do not wish to see a convulsing, screaming, drooling ferret.  I do
not want to make that difficult decision regarding where quality of life
ends.  (Who does?) And I'm getting bitter and pissed off about it.

I just needed to rant.  I needed to vent to those who have either been
there or can understand my frustration.  My other two are doing just
fine.  But their turn will come, I'm sure.  It's all a matter of time, I
suppose... As for the rat tail.  Pixie had rat tail pretty bad for a
couple of years.  It finally went away after her last surgery this past
April.  Zinc also had rat tail prior to her last adrenal surgery, and it,
too, went away afterward.  Oddly enough, Zinc's rat tail is beginning to
return.  I had noticed that last month.  I'll let you know whether it
goes away after her surgery.  And just in case, please send good vibes
her way if you happen to remember this Friday.  Much thanks.

Suzanna Donahue