From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:41:39 EDT
Dawn Logan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>...I know I should test with either the Avecon ELISA test or the United
>CIEP test, but is one better than the other?  And how?  Or why?  If I'm
>going to test them, I want to do it the best way possible!  Any knowledge
>on this subject would be greatly appriciated.

Recently, there seem to be some problems with the Avecon tests, and while
most of the problems have been with the home test, the POCT, there have
been problems as well with the ELISA.

As a result, until Dr. Stephon of Avecon can provide a reasonable
explanation of what is going on, I tend to prefer the United CEP test for
ADV testing.  The CEP test has been used for over 15 years, and has a
proven track record of reliability.  It is also less expensive then the
ELISA.  United charges $10.00 for the first test, and $8.00 for each
additional test in the batch.  It does require a blood sample, but the
amount needed is small, and can be obtained by clipping a claw.

Here is a portion of a post I made several weeks ago, which discusses how
to send samples to United.

With United, you only need a capillary tubes worth of blood - something
you can get yourself by clipping a claw short.  They will sell you a
testing kit which includes instructions, 200 capillary tubes, a clay
board, and holders for the tubes for about $12.00.  Many people are
opposed to getting blood by clipping a claw short, but I have done it
many times, and it really isn't that bad, or that hard to do.  I get a
helper to hold the ferret by scruffing it, and to feed the ferret some
type of treat (whip cream, Nutri Cal, Ferretone, or whatever), and I take
a back foot, clip the claw, and collect the sample.  I use septic powder
or corn starch to then help stop the bleeding.

United Vaccines phone number is:
     1-800-283-6465

Their address is:
     United Vaccines
     P.O. Box 44220
     Madison, WI  53744-4220

I usually collect samples on a Saturday or Sunday, and store them in the
refrigerator until Monday morning, when I ship them (must be overnight).
I call United on Monday to tell them how many tests I have sent.  By
Wednesday or Thursday they have the results ready, and call me with them.
They will also fax you the results, or mail you a hardcopy.

Danee
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit  http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom