From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 20:45:17 EDT
Judy Wrote:

>If anyone on the FML does not want to ask questions on the list, but does
>have questions, please e-mail me personally at [log in to unmask] or Danee
>Devore at [log in to unmask]  You can also learn a LOT from visiting White
>Russian's ADV web page (the URL is below my name).

Judy is correct that I am more then happy to answer private emails about
ADV.  And, while she did list my regular email address correctly, most
people that do not normally correspond with me can not email me at that
address.  I have had a lot of problems with SPAM, and that address has a
block on it.  I do have a second address that does not have a block, and
it is:

I do not consider myself an ADV expert by any stretch of the imagination.
I am simply someone that has been living with ADV for 3 years now, and I
am always happy to share what I have learned and my thoughts on it with
others.

Kristine Lunny wrote:
>I think you are speaking of Feline distemper again....which is not
>related to Canine distemper.  Feline distemper is actually a Parvo
>virus-very difficult to vaccinate for...because they mutate so often.
>That is the reason that canine-Parvo is still going strong despite
>vaccinations.  It's also the reason it may be difficult to make a
>vaccine for ADV (another Parvo virus).

I wanted to make comment on the above - while nothing Kristine said about
feline distemper or canine parvo is incorrect, and while ADV is a parvo
virus, it can not really be compared to the other 2.

As Dr. Stevenson told us in her talk at the Symposium, although ADV is a
parvo virus, it is in a different subgroup or sub class (not sure of the
correct terminology here) from feline distemper and canine parvo.  ADV
not only has a very different effect on the body, it also has a totally
different type of physical structure.  And, because it has a very
different structure, it is actually a very stable virus, and mutates very
slowly.  That is the good news.

The reason it is hard to develop a vaccine that will protect against ADV
is that ADV causes an autoimmune response in the body, much like HIV or
AIDS.  ADV causes the body to produce non-neutralizing antibodies, and it
is these antibodies that actually do much of the damage associated with
the disease.  In most diseases, a vaccine is made by taking antibodies
and injecting them into the subjects.  The antibodies give the subject
protection from the virus.  Injecting ADV antibodies into a healthy ferret
will accomplish nothing, because they will not provide any protection
against ADV.  So the problem of creating a vaccine that will protect
against ADV is the same that with AIDS.  It is not impossible, but more
difficult.

Danee
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit  http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom