From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:04:10 -0400
This was sent to me (and Troy Lynn Eckart and Tara Radford) by DeAnn Hess
of the Layton Animal Control.  She is obviously feeling somewhat defensive
about their actions (or lack thereof).  It is worth noting that Sue Roden
was in contact with Jen Morrison as early as Tuesday, giving her plenty z
of time to remove the ferrets before the search warrant was obtained.

 Linda Iroff
 Oberlin OH
 ------------

Please be advised that we just concluded the execution of a search warrant
on the Jenn Morrision Residence at the Condo previously used as her rescue
sanctuary.  I realize that this has been a frustrating and difficult
situation for the ferret community to understand, and sometimes following
the "legal" process does seem less than timely.  Please be assured that
Officer Roden, Officer Parkinson and all officials in Layton City have
acted promptly and to the fullest legal extent of the law in this matter.
Jenn cannot be physically located, and when reached by telephone, refuses
to reveal her whereabouts.  We have information, received today at the
time we did the warrant that she is in Idaho.  Her father is getting us
that information.  Upon entering the facility we found multiple EMPTY
Ferret cages, feces, food, medication and all other supplies that would
indicate she has, in fact, been at the rescue business again.  There
were, however NO ferrets at the residence.

I realize it is difficult for all of you to totally understand how we
must act to prevent liability for our Agency, the City and the County as
well as prevent a violation of Ms. Morrison's civil rights.  A concern
that has flooded our Commissioners, the Mayor of Layton, The Chief of
Police of Layton and many other public officials is that "once we give
Jen her four hour notice, she will quickly remove the ferrets".  Please
give us the professional courtesy of remembering how we dealt with your
organization, as well as others in the beginning and realize that we are
just as concerned about Jenn Morrision and her rescue charade.  As the
call was made to Jenn, we posted an officer at the door of the condo and
remained there, until we kicked in the door.  There was never any
opportunity for her to remove animals.

Are we frustrated that she continues to operate in some location,
ABSOLUTELY.  I realize that your intent is good as your organizations
flood our City, County and State Officials, but they have become counter
productive.  We are spending countless hours answering inquiries from
them and reassuring them we are "on top of the case".  This time could
be much better spent "working the case" on Jenn.  The most frustrating
information that is being passed along is "Sue Roden won't answer calls
and e-mails".  This is so far from the truth and in fact hours of taped
conversation between Sue, Jenn and many rescue groups has been made over
the past week.  Please encourage those who intend to "do good" to be
cautious in making statements that infer such untrue and unfair
representation.  I had hoped that the action we displayed in the past
would have given a much higher level of credibility to our department
than to have such information forwarded to our superiors that indicates
we are not acting on this issue.  Would you please forward our findings to
all of those involved, and reassure them we cannot locate Jenn Morrision,
there are NO Ferrets in her facility, and We have notified the Judge who
sentenced her and placed her on probation that she has, by her own
admission violated that probation.  We have been reassured that her
probation will be violated by these actions.  The issue now is "finding"
Jenn.  She is reportedly somewhere in Idaho.  As soon as I have any
further information as to her whereabouts, I will notify you.

Would you also alert EVERYONE to contact anyone who may have reason to
give Jenn financial support for her rescue, surrender animals to her or
know of her whereabouts contact us immediately.  Please feel free, also
to forward this e-mail as it is sent to you.

Respectfully,

DeAnne G. Hess;Director Hess
cc:     Commissioner Cragun
        Commissioner Page