From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:57:56 -0700
Hello everyone...

There has been some new discussions about Jen Morrison.  If you don't
know who or what she is...here is a brief recap... Last September it was
discovered that she had over 261 ferrets in her 2 bedroom condo.  The
ferrets were rescued by shelters and individuals.  These ferrets were
picked up in Layton, Utah and transported across the US.  Most, if not
all of the rescuers came from the FML.  The ferrets were sick, starved,
dehydrated and had no muscle because they were kept in dirty
carriers/cages and did not get out much.  Jen went to court on simple
violation charges...like too many animals and not the correct filing
paperwork.  But not on the abuse because the Humane Society stated in
court they were taken care of by Jen (yeah right!).

Anyways, the reason I bring this up...well there is a couple reasons...

One...can someone make a detailed web-site about this?  Maybe with
pictures of the ferrets and where they are at now....and how they are
doing.  This would serve several purposes - gives us something to
reference new people to, a way to check on how the ferrets are doing and
who was lost, and so that it is out there for all to see.

Second - I found the Ferret and Reptile Sanctuary on PetFinder still.
Her phone number (801) 540-9182 is still up and I got the answering
machine with her answering as the sanctuary.  How do we stop her?  Well
that is where the problem comes in.

From reports that I hear she is collecting again.  This is REALLY scary
and needs to be looked into to find out how real it is.  So, anyone in
Utah?  We need someone in the area to look into this.  Go to the house
and see the animals.  Without proof we can't take this to the police or
to the humane society.  So, we need proof.  Once we have that then
charges should be filed...and this time FOR the animals.

Third - Can "we" take an add out in the paper about the "sanctuary"?
Saying that is unsafe or something?

Fourth and last.  Those shelters out there with the 501(c)3 Non-Profit
status.... since you have done the paperwork for the status... can you
find out how someone would go about reporting violations?  I am sure
their is a way.  I couldn't imagine someone getting the status and never
getting in trouble and having it removed.  If we can find out HOW to
remove it then we have another shot at getting her in trouble because she
would be using the title without being licensed.

If we just keep calling and bothering the police and Judge and Humane
Society without taking the correct measures to ensure that what we are
doing is correct and that we have proof then we will only look stupid.
We NEED PROOF.  We need to press this, but in the right and legal way.
That is the only way we are going to stop what she is doing and help the
animals under her "care".

So...whats next?  Up to you.

Joanne Ruffner