From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 19:31:11 -0400
>My 2 guys Frankie and Poncho, especially Poncho, were thin and it turned
>out to be inflammatory bowel disease.  Which is easily treated with
>Imuran, which is not expensive and a good thing too because they will be
>on it the rest of their lives.

Don't forget, though, that Imuran is a very serious immuno-suppressant
chemotherapy med which is why some ferrets are removed from it once
stabilized if possible, and others are first tried on safer alternatives
like Prednisone.  Fortunately, things like modest doses of Prednisone
do work for a number, but sadly, not all do control well enough to not
always have to have Imuran.  Our Scooter is among those who need Imuran
and an antibiotic for control.

>I've got two questions.  First of all, my youngest (10 months) appears
>to have a cold.

If you check what veterinary pathologists have written ferrets don't get
human "colds" (rhinoviruses) though they DO get some other infections
that are easy to think are colds when they are mild such as bacterial
sinus infections and influenza.  We avoid OTCs; if you get one with the
wrong additives the result can be fatal with things like liver damage as
happens with Tylenol's case of drugs.  One safe thing that can help
increase comfort is steam -- just be careful to not get the ferret too
close or keep the ferret there very long (burn and hyperthermia dangers so
common sense will work perfectly).  Your ferrets are up to date on canine
distemper vaccines, right?  That can start with crusty eyes and nose.

>Hey folks , how many of you have had a ferret die in your arms from a
>distemper vaccination?

Probably a lot fewer than have had ones have reactions and then been
healed.  In humans -- for whom rates of survival after treatment for
anaphylactic shock are kept -- survival over 95% when treated in a timely
fashion if memory serves (since Steve and I both react in that way to
multiple things we stay aware...).  (BTW, this is why your allergist has
you stick around for 20 minutes after a shot and has you report any
reactions or tiredness promptly for meds if you react during that time
or after.)  We have had a number of ferrets with allergies to Fervac, to
Galaxy, or to both.  None died though some came close and such individuals
stopped having vaccinations though the rest still got them.  Of course,
this is one of the reasons for the development of the important new
vaccine: Merial's Purevax Canine Distemper Vaccine which in trials by the
company and in later use in the field have had only a very small risk of
reaction -- very low rate, very low risk.  Hey, that is part of way we
all worked so hard to get the drug developed, tested, and released.  It's
also part of why it's worth a bit higher cost.  (Another reason is due to
it having conservation applications due to a number of other critters for
which it is safe and effective.) Can't afford to throw out the baby with
the bathwater.  Canine Distemper is a HORRIBLE disease.