From:
Gabrielle Lastname <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 13:03:16 -0500
I understand that people are very attached to their ferrets (I know I
am!!) and that there is a lot we don't understand about ADV.  In light
of the very limited resources of the ferret shelters, the shortage of
available homes, and limited resources of all ferret lovers, I believe
that it is important for shelters to euthanize ADV+ ferrets.  Part of
owning and loving ferrets is working to improve the lives, health, and
longevity of ferrets as a species.  And allowing healthy ferrets to be
exposed to or infected by ADV+ ferrets is not going to help the lives,
health, or longevity of ferrets as a species.

I have posted before that part of loving ferrets is accepting that they
will pass on and continuing to make ferrets a part of our lives, both for
our own pleasure and to honor the memories of those that pass on.  Because
ferrets are so wonderful, so varied in their personalities, such darling,
delightful creatures as a species, it is important to work for the
survival of their species.

Given the proclivity that most ferret owners have for owning many ferrets,
and the longevity of the virus, it is vital that we do not allow ADV to
spread.  This is a virus that has the capability to infect many, many
ferrets.  The destruction of the American ferret population is not out of
the question.

I would put it to the ferret community that the effort that ADV+ shelters
are expending on caring for ADV+ ferrets could be better put to raising
funds for ADV research, raising awareness of ADV, or simply helping with
the shelters that are already overflowing with healthy ferrets (like the
GFCA that was in yesterday's FML).  Of course, i understand that some
people have ADV+ personal ferrets and have opened their doors to others
who also test positive, which is certainly understandable.  But regular
shelter operators are so overburdened already, that I just can't
understand how they can run 2 parts of a shelter (pos and neg) and really
maintain quarrantine -- and think how much more they could do for the ADV
negative ferrets if they weren't spending all that time on the positives!
And who knows if the quarrantines are even effective?

I love my ferrets passionately.  I will do all I can to ensure their
health.  If my ferrets ever test positive for ADV, I will have absolutely
no further physical contact with any ferrets other than my own.  If I
become convinced that this is not enough to keep the virus from spreading
to other ferrets, then I *will* euthanize them.  I will cry, and I will
hate doing it, but I will do so.  My personal pain will be a testament to
my love of the species, and it will be for the good of ferrets everywhere.

I love my ferrets.  But I love ferrets as a species even more, and I
recognize that my love for my personal ferrets is nothing compared to
what I feel for them as a whole group, because their individual
characteristics,the things that make them lovable to me, are shared by
ferrets as a collective group.

I hope that this helps some of you to understand why some ferret owners
are advocating euthanization of ferrets that are ADV+.  We're not evil,
uncaring, or mean.  We are just more concerned with the survival of the
species than with any particular individual.

Also donning flame-proof suit :)
Melissa