Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:59:52 -0600
I received a notice from the local SPCA that a complaint had been lodged
against me stating overcrowding of ferrets and filthy conditions.  Yes, I
have over 20 ferrets in my home, but you'd never know it.  The Constable
came to my home and noted that my home was cleaner than most pet stores
he's visited.  He was quite impressed when he realized where the ferrets
were going to that were picked up from the SPCA.  When I explained to him
that I knew who had registered the complaint and that I knew they did it
only to try and put a black mark on my name, on my reputation, and on that
of the ferret society I volunteer for and now look after, he understood
the situation right away.  You see, he's seen it before, heard it before,
and now I guess it's time for ferret wars, and someone went to an awful
lot of trouble for nothing.

What some of you may not be aware of is that my husband and I have had
ferrets for a very long time.  Close to 18 years.  Isn't it funny that
a new ferret rescue recently appears and suddenly there is a complaint
registered with the local Human Society.  Not one complaint in all of
those years and then suddenly one crops up... hmmmm, it's not hard to
figure out who and what lurks in dark shadows.

The Constable was quite impressed by my extensive knowledge of ferrets
and how well they were looked after.  As he stated, it looks like I
really love these little guys and it shows.  And why not?  It's the truth.
He searched the entire house, top to bottom and if anyone is interested
in finding out the results of the case, simply call in and ask for the
Janner File.  It's interesting to note that he has been to homes where
there has been filthy conditions.  He was told the smell was horrible.
He was initially apprehensive about entering my home envisioning what he
was going to see.  Imagine his shock when it was the total opposite!  He
told me the first time he attended that he smelled nothing.  He went to
the neighbours and they all vouched for me... no smells coming from my
home.  He stated that he smelled ferrets but it wasn't bad at all... that
my home smelled like ferrets!  He said he could barely notice it.  You
could tell that he was perturbed at having to waste his time on a call
that he knew he didn't have to attend to when there were other calls that
were far more serious.  He shook his head in disgust a lot.... over the
complaint that is.

What is so shameful of this entire situation is that the person who lodged
this complaint (and I know who you are) tried to discredit me simply
because they were running out of other petty tactics.  They just simply
don't understand the kind of true dedication it takes to have a home full
of ferrets that are well looked after, and well cared for.  They don't
understand that love and compassion is not something one buys, but comes
deep from the heart.  They don't understand that dedicating one's life to
the welfare of one of God's precious creatures is not a joke... it's
serious business.  And one I've fully dedicated my life to.  So if you're
finally finished playing your petty games, I have a shelter to run and
ferrets who need more of my time that to waste it on the likes of you.
If any one has ever seen the show Family Guy and knows the character of
Brian (the dog) then you'll be familiar with the line I'm about to quote:
"I've seen more personality in tightly coiled piles on the front lawn."

So I guess I should thank you for registering the complaint.  You made
yourself look like a liar, and you are now known for making false claims,
and you wasted an officer's time when he could have been dealing with a
serious case of animal abuse.  I hope you are willing to apologize to the
animals you may have put in jeopardy because of your selfishness.  And
now that the SPCA is aware of the entire situation, I think you should be
one worried that someone might come knocking on your door one day...

Enough said!

betty and her blur o'fur
for the love of ferrets... and I don't just say it... I LIVE IT!