From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:36:11 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=3040

>I have a 7 1/2 year old ferret. About a year ago his hair on his tail
>started falling out.  I have read about rat tail and dont think this is
>the problem.  I have also read on adrenal gland disease, however, he is
>not losing hari all over his body.  Could you please give me some idea
>as the nearest vet is 7 hours from my home.  He seemed to start losing
>the hair once we introduced a cat to the house.

Dear Y:

Tough to tell, it could be either.  However, it is difficult to predict
how the pattern of hair loss in adrenal disease will affect a particular
ferret.  The vast majority have hair loss that progresses forward from
the tail - it doesn't generally happen all over at once.  A lot of times,
vets are presented with ferrets with generalized hair loss, but that is
because the owner doesn't pick up on it until it is somewhat advanced.

With a 7.5 year old animal and a 7 hour drive - we can probably wait a
little while and see if the hair loss continues.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM