Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 17:06:25 -0600
The death of my little ferrets have kept me away from this board for a
long time...its was hard for me to come here and see everybody so happy
about their fuzzies.  It wasnt fair to me that I had to suffer while
others got to play.  But then I read something that I normally dont...the
postings about ferrets that have passed.  I would never read them becuz
they made me sad, but they also helped me to see that I was being selfish
in my actions, and it has once again brought me back to the board.

When I was in the 6th grade, 2 of my best friends got "ferrets".  From
the very first time i saw them, I knew that I had to have one (if not
more!!!).  So, i began the many months of begging for a little booger of
my own.  Of course, my parents being who they are, repeatedly said no.
But, me being the person that I am, kept on!!!:) I guess they eventually
gave in, becuz the day before Christmas, I was presented with a large
brown box, containg one absolutely perfect fuzzy, that would come to be
known as Bandit, for the "mask" around the eyes.

I quickly fell in love with Bandit, spending all my time with it....My
world literally revolved around this baby, and I was satisfied with it
staying like that.  Bandit was always a very playful baby, she was one of
the most active ones i have ever seen, in fact...but as she got older she
didnt play as much.  Until one day she was nothing but a loner.  Of course
I was heart broken, becuz as any good ferret owner would do, i blamed
myself.  So, i had to fix it...and the only thing i knew to do was to get
her a "boyfriend".  Once again my parents put their foot down.  "You have
enough animals" they replied.  And me being the bad boy i was, went behind
their backs.  I saved my money and went to the pet store...and there i
found Smokey.

Smokey was Champagne beauty.  I feel that he was taken from his mom just
way to early, becuz he was the smallest baby ferret i have EVER seen...
and the pet store wasnt really knowledgeable about ferrets, so I took it
upon myself to adopt him.  And it was the best decision of my life.  I
took him home, and (after fighting with my parents) introduced him to
Bandit.  They didnt get along to good at first, but they soon became best
friends.  This made me so happy, becuz now I had two fuzzies to play
with!!

After a while though, Bandit once again quit playing with me as much, but
she still spent time with Smokey.  Bandit became sick just a couple of
months after I got Smokey, and Bandit passed in her sleep.  My parents
found her rapped in a ball in the hallway...it was her favorite position
to sleep in, and I just know that she died happy...I just wish i would
have been there to hold her and kiss her one last time..

After Bandit passed, I spent even more time with smokey.  It was a good
time for us both, but Smokey wasnt the same after Bandits passing.  A
couple of months went by, and our house became invaded with fleas.  Smokey
became very lethargic, and after a visit to the vet, they said that it
wasnt the fleas, but a spot in his stomach area.  We didnt have very many
options at the time..so the best we had was to take him home and give him
some TLC.  He got better, but once again slipped over the edge.  I came
home oneday to find Smokey laying half way out of his cage door, cold and
very stiff, but still breathing.  I of course broke down..My parents told
me to spend 5 minutes with him, becuz they couldnt let him suffer...All i
really remember was holding him in my arms and falling to the ground in
tears.  I told him repeatedly that I loved him and that I was sorry..and
he seemed to understand me.  He looked at me and licked me on the nose.
I handed him over to my dad and went straight to my room.

From the first time I got bandit to they day Smokey died, was only about
2 years.  I didnt have no where near enough time with my babies..but i
hope you will.  Please dont take them for granted, becuz we dont get
enough time with them.

Joseph