Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:25:59 -0700
How do you say Good-by

I met a little guy at the pet store and fell in love with him.  A little
Cinnamon boy about 12 weeks old (wanted a chinchilla, but they bit me :-).
He was soooo adorable, tiny and loveable.  We took him home and let him
have the whole house to roam.

That was 7 years ago (minus 10 days).  He past away today (7/11/02).  My
first born, our baby.  Never bit anyone.  Taught all our other babies all
the hiding places in the house.He had a good life, and was loved by all
that met him.  His name was Mischief.

Mischief was diagnosed with ADV May of 1998 and never showed any signs.
We have been blessed with almost 7 years of love from him.  I'm just
happy to have known him and given him the love he was due.

Now my question comes - How do you say good-by???

This morning when I woke up, Mary showed him to me, with the baby blankie
clutched in his mouth, and I started to cry.  I knew what was to be the
out come!  My babie, My Mischief would not be here when I get home!!  I
had to go to work!  I looked at him with teary eyes and told him I loved
him and with guilt in my heart, I went to work.  Still crying in the
parking lot of my place of employment, I said a prayer to let him go
without pain.  All day long when I had a brief moment to myself, I would
sit there and think of all the memories, and cry again.  All I could do
is think to myself, Did I do the right thing by going to work?  Could he
hear me?

Then I would say, " I'm a shelter dad, I have to work for the other
babies.".  Then comes the question,"Do you put the shelter before your
own babies?".  I have so much quilt going threw me, I really don't know
how to feel right now.  As soon as I walked through the door when I came
home, the tears started flowing.

We've been a shelter for 6 1/2 years now.  We have experienced death many
times before, but Mischief stole my heart.  Being a ADV +/- shelter, and
with our personals being ADV +, I should expect this will happen.  All
our babies are 5 years plus (most are turning 7 years old),

But did I do the right thing???  Should I have stayed with my babie and
held him until he was gone, like I do with our shelter babies?  I said my
good-by to him, but was it enough?  Did he feel my love for him???  God
the questions keep coming, but the answers are long in coming.

Mischief: I hope you knew how I felt about you.  You are our first babie,
and there will never be anyone that will take your place J.  My heart is
broken, because you're gone, But your memory within me will be strong.
Your Mom, Dad, Sister (Princess Tinker Dink), and your brother Peepers
will miss you dearly.

God Bless You My Little One - Until We Meet Again at the Rainbow Bridge!!

LOVE: DAD
Thank You For Letting Me Vent

Kris Mewton - [log in to unmask]
www.mkaresq.com  -  www.mfran.org