Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 17:18:06 EDT
Peanut's visit to the vet this morning was not very good news.  Just
wanted to share...

We have had Peanut for about 4-5 weeks.  He was extremely thin when we got
him and we have tried everything to help him gain weight.  He came from a
shelter, so of course his pre-shelter history isnt very well known.

At the vet's, he weighs just over a pound (and he is a very lanky or
"tall" ferret).  His gums are pale and what I thought was him grinding
his teeth seems to be the "chewing gum fits" that are a hallmark of
distemper.  The vet thinks that if it was distemper, he would've gone
downhill very quickly (a matter of 2 or 3 weeks).  But that doesnt
necessarily rule it out either.  His eyeballs twitch when he chews, could
be another neurological sign that could point to distemper.

A fecal was done and it was found that he has "wall to wall" clostridia.
The vet doesnt see this as being a primary problem, but rather probably
a secondary problem to a viral infection (distemper or ADV or something
that doesnt have a name yet) that probably wont get better.

They also got enough blood to do a CBC, PCV, glucose and kidney function.
Those results came back this afternoon.  His white cells are 30-50% of
what they should be.  His packed cell volume shows that he is anemic.
His glucose was a little low, but we dont think insulinoma.  Kidney
functions are really good, which surprised the vet due to the fact that
he's dehydrated.  The vet gave him 50cc of subQ fluids and we have him on
antibiotics to knock out the clostridia.  His prognosis is guarded, and
if we are to turn him around, it should happen by the middle of this week.
I am syringe feeding him chicken, Iams kitten food and water blended up
and he's taking it readily; he just doesnt seem interested in feeding
himself.

In the short time we have had him, I've developed a strong bond with
Peanut...we call him our Peanut Buttery Boy.

We ask that if you are at all spiritual (whatever it may be) that you say
a prayer for Peanut and all the other fuzzies who are sick, neglected and
abused.

Thank you for listening.

Becky and Heather
The Magnificent Seven...Abby, Andre, Annie, Arthur, Avery (AKA Sleepy),
Bob and Peanut