From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 03:20:08 -0500
>This is a misstatement, which could cause confusion.  I believe you
>meant to say that crystals in urine are NOT caused by adrenal neoplasia,
>however BLOCKAGES often are, due to associated prostate problems.

Actually, what I Should have said is the SEDIMENT is more commonly from
adrenal neoplasia.  Yes, they ARE able to get sediment form that, too,
as the vets pointed out, and the vets have written that this sediment
appears to be much more common in U.S.  ferrets who are fed ferret foods
than the types of crystals that are associated with diet, though from
what I have heard neither is all that common.

There is a tendency among vet who aren't used to ferrets to assume that
the sediment is of the bladder crystal type caused by alkaline pH of
urine allowing crystal formation because of seeing that so often in
cats -- a natural conclusion, but it is important to do the needed tests
with ferrets before assuming that is the cause, though some individual
ferrets seem to be prone to such bladder crystals -- and there are past
FHL posts which talk about urine acidifiers that help greatly -- and a
poor diet (not the case with two ferrets mentioned) can be cause.

YES, to the blockage part.  Blockages from prostate involvement are
commonly caused by adrenal neoplasia, and to support Nancy's comment
on those folks who don't realize it should remember that this is very
painful and very dangerous.

Hope that helps.  Sorry about wording it badly.  That is how i interpret
the multiple vets posts I've read on this topic.  Feel free to check me,
of course.  I'm as human as anyone else so just as capable of error,
pretty well exhausted, and am not a vet.

Sevie was bouncing today and moving toys more than she should.  She'll
likely need a Lasix shot on top of her oral tomorrow, but what the heck,
if she makes it to the 20th she will have been maintained with Level 3
(Complete) A/V Heart Node Block for 6 months and shouldn't even be alive
so if she has fun and overdoes it -- well, we're just happy to she her
enjoying what remains of her time left and amazed that she is still
around.

Dad's is still having a hard time of it, post surgically.  How much of it
is from the surgery and meds and how much may be from one or more small
strokes no one knows, yet.  He is having times when he is more confused
than he should be -- sometimes greatly so -- as well as having times when
he is just crystal clear, so it's scary but we're hopeful.  No one is
sleeping very well.