From:
Melissa McDaniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:04:09 EDT
AN OFF NOTE TO ANY ONE COMPUTER KNOWLEDGEABLE.
(please email me at [log in to unmask] w/ responses)

I received a terrifying email from my ex tonight (with a zip file
attachment titled ferrets- not able to discern what the heck it is
though, appears unopenable)  What's scarring me (along with the fact
that this guy is a total jerk who stole about $10,000 dollars from me
causing me to foreclose on my house and file bankruptcy- It's been a
tough year...)

ANYWAY there is no way that he could know anything about my interest in
ferrets, (The one I used to have I couldn't talk about without crying and
I know I never mentioned her or anything about ferrets to him and the one
I have now has only been with me a few months) ~unless he was able to
access my computer somehow.  Is it possible???  It's just creepy.  He's
a very intelligent person and does all sorts of stuff with computers
(most of it stuff I never understood) but I took every step imaginable
to distance myself from this person with the exception of changing my
name and now there's this weird email.  I don't know who else to ask and
there are so many people on FML that I thought surely someone must know
something about computers.  I'm going to be completely on edge and
terrified until someone out there eases my fears

(sorry about being so off topic Bill!)

[Moderator's note: Please consider that the e-mail might not really have
originated from your ex.  What you are describing perfectly fits the
pattern of a computer virus that's been making the rounds lately... and
in that case, your ex did NOT send it since it fakes the "From:".  BIG]