From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 08:29:48 -0700
Forgive me, Heather.

I didn't mean any insult in anything I posted.  Blunt?  Yes.  No
particular concern for how others think of me based on my opinions,
which I do not arrive at lightly?  Sure.  Insulting?  Never meant to
be in the least.

You said, "I was not aware that an opinion had to be shared by the
majority of the FML before it had value or a right to be shared or
discussed."

I agree with you completely.  Nothing in my post was intended to imply
that anyone should avoid voicing their opinions.  However, as you rightly
stated, even those who disagree have the right to express theirs.  That
is all I was doing.  And one of the reasons I did it is because it was
not an opinion which as yet had been voiced in this particular
discussion.  I feel it is important for anyone, especially a new member
who hasn't had the benifit of seeing this discussion in its many forms,
sees that not all members believe boycotting Petco is the way to go.

You might have noticed that I also said I thought those efforts were
honorable.  I commend anyone who strives, through whatever means they
deem fit, for the betterment of animal welfare.  I don't, however, feel
any urge to agree with the methods unless I see good reason, and I've
never been one to avoid expressing my opinion if I thought it mattered.

As to the "waste of time" comment, I apologize.  It didn't come off the
way I meant it.  As I said above, I commend your efforts.  All I meant
was that in specific regards to myself, I would feel I was wasting my
time.

The facts to me seem to indicate a very clear course of action.  Perhaps
it may be difficult to get the laws changed with Petco around.  However,
we know from experience here on the FML recently that the laws CAN be
changed.  WE are the government, and while Petco may be big and strong,
we the voters are bigger and stronger, if we just remember it.

I DO feel it would be easier to make Petco stop treating animals badly
if we had the law on our side.  Simply saying "We don't like you and
you should stop doing such and such so that we will like you again" can
hardly be as effective as saying "Stop doing this or face legal action,"
especially when Petco could survive quite easily without ANY member of
the FML shopping there.

In any case, I have no problems disagreeing with you.  I never intended
my post as any sort of flame or insult.  (Perhaps some gentle nudges for
civility were located in the first paragraphs, but you did not comment on
them, and I assume you knew where they were directed.)  I simply feel it
is important for memebrs of the FML to see that ALL opinions are present
here, if for no other reason than to allow them to see the argument from
a side they may not otherwise have investigated.

Melissa Kuzara
Mira, Tasha, Robin, Nietzsche, Samurai and O'Dell
Missing Cael and Booboo always