From:
Jennifer Rasel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 06:54:57 -0700
I posted a bit over a week ago asking for help for a Michigan shelter
in transporting some ferrets from the overcrowded GCFA shelter here to
Michigan where things are not so crowded.  Nanci at Motor City Ferrets
asked me to post this to the fml as an update:

 ( -- Motor City Ferrets <[log in to unmask]> wrote: )

update on our request for help getting critters to michigan from chicago:

cyndi hulst from grand rapids ended up making the trip, picking up 20
from the gcfa.  cyndi then dropped off all 20 at the kalamazoo ferret
haven thursday.  we picked up 14 from kzoo on friday, then tabitha from
the ferret house in owosso came down saturday morning to pick up 7 (she
took another pair from kzoo with her group of five from chicago).  all
the adrenals are here with us; of the 20, 4 have adrenal troubles.  3
will have surgery (july 31 & august 6) and one will continue on as a fat,
happy and somewhat bald critter.  only one litter stinker who likes to
chomp (only 'cause she's naughty, not at all mean).  illinois law doesn't
require rabies vaccination but michigan law does, so all need rabies
shots.  we're testing for ADV now here, but kzoo and owosso aren't yet...
so we'll be testing our beasties this week.

of the group, just about everyone is VERY social -with the exception of
angel, a delightful little single.  she's out right now, gaily trying to
find new trouble to get into.  :) she's such a super ferret...just
doesn't like others!  all the rest of the 20, 4 pairs who are now a group
of 8 in kzoo and a group of five who have now met with three more pair
in owosso, are so very friendly...we're sure they'll all be able to find
new homes easily - even little miss attitude with her mild chomping! :)
odie, the adrenal ferret who won't be having surgery, will be looking
for a foster home.  he's so cute...obese from his adrenal troubles, he
doesn't let his girth slow him down.  little chubb-ster just keeps on
squeezin' until he makes it into the tube! :)

all three of us who took ferrets have received additional surrenders
(everything happens at once ha), so we're all nearing our personal limits
in guests for the moment.  if you're anywhere close to any of us and
are thinking of adding to your business, now is a GREAT time! :)  we're
looking forward to making several adoptions and hopefully taking another
group from chicago (soon as we have some room and replenish ye olde bank
account after 4 surgeries over the next two weeks...everything happens at
once ha) - they're just SO overstuffed!  unfortunately i don't think
they've broken the 100 mark, even after sending 20 this way. :( i'm
also sure they would welcome those of you from the chicago area who would
like to head over to volunteer.  when we're so full i know the most
heartbreaking part is not being able to spend quality snuggle time with
sick'uns or sad critters.

cyndi not only drove all that way to fetch the big gang, but she went
shopping before she left and took chicago just about everything on their
wish list WOW!  so THANKS again cyndi for helping out in so many ways!
we also heard from several folks in chicago or somewhere along the way
who offered to help - THANKS!!! :)  i've kept all the e-mails so if ever
we need to do this again i'll may well call upon you!  :)

nanci frazier
motor city ferrets
oak park, michigan
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/ferretsetc